The 9th PhD Symposium on Future Directions in Information Access (FDIA) will be held in conjunction with the 12th European Summer School on Information Retrieval (ESSIR 2019). The symposium aims to provide a forum for participants of the summer school to share their research and interaction with senior researchers in an informal and relaxed atmosphere.
The previous symposiums were held in Tianjin, China in 2018 (with ICTIR 2018); Barcelona, Spain in 2017 (with ESSIR 2017); Thessaloniki, Greece in 2015 (with ESSIR 2015); Granada, Spain in 2013 (with ESSIR 2013); Koblenz, Germany in 2011 (with ESSIR 2011), Padova, Italy in 2009 (with ESSIR 2009); London, England in 2008, and Glasgow, Scotland in 2007 (with ESSIR 2007). They have provided an entertaining and exciting forum for early stage researchers for sharing new research ideas.
Why future directions, because we want to encourage submissions that focus on the early research such as pilot studies, presenting challenges and future opportunities, conceptual and theoretical work, and the contributions from doctoral work.
Why Information Access, because it captures the broader ideas of information retrieval, storage and management to include interaction and usage.
The IRSG FDIA Symposium is mainly turned to PhD students, researchers new to the field, and postdoctoral researchers. The objectives are:
- To provide an accessible forum for new researchers to discuss their research and projects.
- To help foster formative and tentative research ideas.
- To encourage discussion and successful progression.
- To share outcomes of doctoral work.
- Ingo Frommholz, University of Bedfordshire, UK
- Haiming Liu, University of Bedfordshire, UK
- Yashar Moshfeghi, University of Strathclyde, UK
- Wednesday 17 July 2019: Paper Session
- Thursday 18 July 2019: Poster Session
- Download here the papers accepted for oral presentation
- Download here the papers accepted for poster presentation
Call for Papers
- You can find the Call for Papers for FDIA at the following link: https://easychair.org/cfp/FDIA2019
- The submission link is the following: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=fdia2019